For this year's convention, we are planning on repeating some of the successful events of the past, and introducing a few new ones. It's likely that the schedule for RCW 139: Toronto Holiday will not be finalized until just a few days before the convention. Here's an idea of what you can expect:
- "Complete the Quote" game - A team game featuring progressively more difficult rounds and questions. If you hear a Due South quote, can you identify who said it, and during which episode it was said? And during our last round, can you "Complete the Quote"? Prizes will be awarded. And if you don't know the answer, coming up with something original could pay off... you never know!
- Scavenger Hunt - This one might require a little bit of work prior to the convention... or a LOT of work during the convention! A list of Due South-related items has been posted. Find these items and bring them to Toronto, and at the appropriate time, put them on display for our jury (which may include at least one of our very special guests), who will determine the winners. It's that simple... or is it? Wait until you see the list! Creativity will definitely be rewarded!
- RCMP Panel - Your chance to meet a real Mountie, and to learn about the RCMP.
- Production Panel - A question & answer session with some of the Due South crew. Past attendees have included Jay Semko, Jack Lenz, Sandra Kybartas, and George Bloomfield.
- Due South Lives Panel - John Wright, founder of the Due South Lives campaign (www.duesouthlives.com) will be discussing the origin, past, present and future of the campaign. He will be welcoming any questions from fans, or any ideas for the future of the campaign. John will also be holding a special screening of 'Ride Forever' - a Due South documentary only currently available on Region 2 DVD sets - including possible exclusive footage, and other surprises!
- Kitkat Tasting Contest - Paul Gross has stated that Kitkat was his favourite chocolate bar. Well, here's your chance to sample the different Kitkat flavours from around the world... and pick your favourite. Previous winners have included orange Kitkat from the United Kingdom... or was that mint?
- The Great TO Due South tour - Led by Toronto-area resident and tour guide extraordinaire Joseph Talavera, of past RCW 139 fame, this 3-hour (0900-1200) tour will satisfy the most avid convention attendees. From the comfort of a fully air conditioned bus, you'll get to visit a variety of Due South filming locations, covering all of the show's seasons, and which include your most requested filming sites. See The Location Tour page. Separately ticketed event.
- RCW Retrospective - Are you a veteran of RCW 139 conventions? Or are you curious about the ones you've missed? This retrospective will include still and video footage of the four previous RCW 139 conventions, held from 1996 to 1999.
- "Introduce Your Inner Child to Ray Doll" Event - See Ray Doll and his history at: http://realduesouth.net/RayDoll.htm. Ray Doll will be appearing once again at RCW 139. Leave the adult world behind and join child-like activities such as dressing up Ray Doll in his own wardrobe, playing Ray Doll's "name that episode" contest, and drawing your own settings for Ray Doll to pose in. Get pictures of Ray Doll wearing your designs - his measurements - neck to ankle: 5 inches / 12 ½ centimeters, waist: 6 ¾ inches / 16 ½ centimeters, inseam 2 ¼ inches / 5 ½ centimeters (yes fellow Duesers, your hostess for this event, The Moo, has measured his legs!)
- Fan Fiction Friendship Get-Together - Come gather at the Fan Fiction Friendship Get-Together. You will meet with other readers and writers of fic. Maybe your favourite author will be there and you'll get to see what they look like. Maybe you are someone's favourite author and THEY will get to see what YOU look like. Share joys and tribulations of the fic world in an informal setting. Hosted by The Moo, fan-fic author in a host of genres.
- Guest Panels - Question & answer sessions with our distinguished guests. Subject to guest commitments, naturally. Autographs are a possibility!
- PG-L Panel - Once again this year, the Paul Gross List (PG-L) will be holding an event. Charades, Guess the Character, Word Searches, Quizzes... everyone is welcome (you don't have to be a member of the PG-L!)
- Silent Auction - In the tradition of past RCW 139 conventions, a charity auction will be held. Expect some unique Due South and guest-related items. All proceeds will go to charity (specific charities to be identified through discussions with our guests)
- Meet and Greet - The first formal get-together of the convention, snacks and drinks will be provided. We're also hoping to have attendance by some of the guests. Separately ticketed event.
- Gala Dinner - The fifth RCW 139 gala dinner! A chance to dress up, a formal dinner in a special setting. All guests will be invited. Please consult the Gala Dinner page for more details. Separately ticketed event.
Have suggestions for other events? Want to help run these events? Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org! Please note, once again, that the events and the schedule may change based upon availability and commitments.
Naturally, just as important as the official events are the unscheduled, impromptu gatherings, room parties, dinners, and meetings with new or old friends...
Preliminary Schedule for RCW 139: Toronto Holiday
Day 1 (Friday August 15th)
10 AM - 12 noon: Registration
12 noon - 12:30 PM: Welcome and RCW 139 opening
12:30 PM - 2 PM: "Due South Lives" panel and discussion
2 PM - 4 PM: Fan Fiction Friendship Get Together / Introduce Your Inner Child to Ray Doll
4 PM - 5 PM: RCMP panel with Constable Terry Russel
5 PM - 7 PM: Meet & Greet
7 PM - 8:30 PM: Special Guests - Gail Parker and Cinder
8:30 PM - 10:30 PM: Special Guest - Jay Semko
10:30 PM - 11:30 PM: Kitkat Tasting Contest
Day 2 (Saturday August 16th)
9 AM - 12 noon: The Great TO Due South Tour
12:30 PM - 2:30 PM: Special Guest - David Marciano
2:30 PM - 3:30 PM: Scavenger Hunt Judging
3:30 PM - 5:30 PM: Special Guest - Catherine Bruhier
7 PM - 11 PM: Gala Dinner
Day 3 (Sunday August 17th)
9 AM - 11 AM: PG-L event
11 AM - 1 PM: Charity Auction
1 PM - 3 PM: Special Guest: Tom Melissis
3:30 PM - 4:30 PM: Due South "Complete the Quote" game
RCMP Veterans' Association Canteen (Yorkville Room, Saturday August 16, 10 AM - 3 PM):
The 'Canteen' offer you specially chosen memorabilia of Canada's famous Mounties. All items are approved by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police through the Mounted Police Foundation. Customers worldwide acclaim this merchandise collection for its high quality, reasonable pricing, and most importantly Canadian-design. Royalty from each item has already been collected by the Mounted Police Foundation and used across Canada in such activities as Drug Awareness Programs, 'Say No to Drugs, and Community Youth Development. In addition, 10% of all profits will be donated to a charity selected by RCW 139.
The Due South Trading Post - www.duesouth.ca (Yorkville Room, Friday August 15 10 AM - 3 PM and Saturday August 16 12 PM - 4 PM):
Merchandise at the Trading Post will include Due South CDs, DVDs, t-shirts, jackets, and other souvenirs. In addition, you will find some exclusive items that are not available through their online store!