Many thought that RCW 139: Duesers' Day Off couldn't be any better than RCW 139: Toronto Holiday in 2008. Well, we were happy to prove you wrong, and intend to keep improving for 2012. We're hoping to bring in some new events and new content - and hopefully, new guests and new attendees. We also need your help to come up with new and innovative events - so don't hesitate to get in touch! This page will be updated as the convention approaches and event details get finalized. Here's some of what you can expect:
- Dinner in the Distillery District - Due to popular request, we're doing this one again! An event for early arrivals! The Distillery District is a beautiful area of Toronto. Many Due South episodes were filmed there, including parts of The Blue Line, Bird in the Hand, Victoria's Secret, and Gift of the Wheelman. The plan is to go for a walk and have dinner in one of the many nice restaurants. Note that the cost of your meal is not included in the convention fee.
- Meet and Greet - The first formal get-together of the convention, yummy snacks and drinks will be provided. Similar to last year, we're also hoping to have attendance by some of the guests. Note that will improve the menu from last year to eliminate packaged foods and return to a spread of fresh items. Separately ticketed event.
- Gala Dinner - The seventh RCW 139 gala dinner! A formal dinner in a special setting, with some special people. This will include the 3rd RCW 139 group picture! Always a good time and you never know what can happen - just think back to the mischief of 2008 with David and Catherine, and to Ramona and Tom's "kids" in 2010! Separately ticketed event.
- Breakfast at the Patrician Grill - Yes, we're doing it again due to your requests! A group breakfast at this most famous of diners. Terry, the owner, has promised to entertain us with tales from Due South filming at the diner. And he will have some t-shirts on hand this time around! Note that the cost of your meal ($10-$15 per person) is not included.
- Due South Jeopardy! II - Due South Jeopardy! was one of the simplest yet most fun events of the 2010 convention. Guess what? It's coming back for 2012!
- Due South Props Exhibition - Come see in person some original items used during the filming of Due South... like Ray Vecchio's badge, the original "Smoking Kills" matchbook from Chicago Holiday, and fittingly, the RCW 139 license plate... and many other items!
- Scavenger Hunt - Yes, there will be a scavenger hunt once again... although perhaps not quite as you expect it! More details will follow in the summer of 2012.
- Due South Episode Viewing - Yes, we will do this again. It was unforgettable to watch some of our favourite Due South episodes on the big screen, in the company of other Duesers.
- Kitkat Tasting Contest - A tradition from previous RCWs. Who doesn't like chocolate anyways?
- Guest Panels - We're inviting guests again this year! Too early to tell who might show up...
- Charity Auction - The charity auctions from 2008 and 2010 raised over $7700 for five extremely worthy causes. Some great items were auctioned off, including autographed scripts, Ramona Milano's cast jacket, and some very rare pictures. Expect even more awesome stuff this year, and more great causes to support.
Have suggestions for other events? Want to help run these events? Send an e-mail to email@example.com! Please note, once again, that the events and the schedule may change based upon availability and commitments.
Naturally, just as important as the official events are the unscheduled, impromptu gatherings, room parties, dinners, and meetings with new or old friends...
Schedule for RCW 139: From A Million Miles
Day 0 (Thursday August 16th)
5:30 PM: Dinner in the Distillery District
Day 1 (Friday August 17th)
10 AM+: Morning/Afternoon session
5-7 PM: Meet & Greet
7 PM+: Jay Semko night
Day 2 (Saturday August 18th)
9 AM - 12 noon: Breakfast at the Patrician Grill
12 noon - 5:30 PM: Afternoon session
7 PM - 11 PM: Gala Dinner
Day 3 (Sunday August 19th)
RCMP Veterans' Association Canteen
Once again this year, we are hoping to have the RCMP Veterans' Association Canteen on site. The 'Canteen' offer you specially chosen memorabilia of Canada's famous Mounties. All items are approved by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police through the Mounted Police Foundation. Customers worldwide acclaim this merchandise collection for its high quality, reasonable pricing, and most importantly Canadian-design. Royalty from each item has already been collected by the Mounted Police Foundation and used across Canada in such activities as Drug Awareness Programs, 'Say No to Drugs, and Community Youth Development.
The Due South Trading Post
Merchandise at the Trading Post will include Due South CDs, DVDs, t-shirts, jackets, souvenirs, and some exclusive items made just for RCW 139: From a Million Miles